God intended marriage to be permanent (Mal 2:14-16; Rom 7:2), but due to our sinful hearts het made provision for divorce and He also regulates it (Matt 19:8-9; 1 Cor 7:12-15).
In a broken world Christian couples divorce and get married with someone else. Sometimes children are involved. People who live in a step family may consider the
- Handle the sins in the previous marriage thoroughly:
- Examine your own marriage sins and reconcile with God
- Acknowledge the sins of your ex-partner and forgive him/her
- Reconcile with the ex if possible
- Follow Gods guidelines for divorce:
- Consider the Biblical grounds for divorce
- Communicate constructively with partner during the divorce suit
- Get a negotiated agreement with biblical legal advice
- Restructure the future relationship with ex
- Help the children to work through the trauma of their parents' failed marital relationship, the divorce and accompanying losses
- Involve the Body of Christ
- Restructure your life as a divorcee
- Try to reconcile with ex and remarry him/her
- Contract a new marriage in the Lord:
- Make sure that marriage with a new partner is biblical
- Before marriage baggage of the past must be sorted out and identities must be (re)established in Christ - allow enough time for that
- The couple and the children involved must be prepared for the marriage
- Build a relationship with the children of the future spouse
- Relationships must be built between children involved
- Relationship with ex's must be built
- Negotiate a marriage contract
- Rewrite testaments
- Build a new family
- Parents and children should build a new family that serves Jesus Christ as King
- Define roles and responsibilities
- Integrate with die Body of Christ.
Seek God's guidance in your marriage, divorce and new family. The King will help you to abbey Him (Matt 6:9-14, 33; Luke 11:14). He reveals his will in Scripture (e.g. 1 Tim 2:3-5; 3:4; 5:4,8; Tit 2:3-5; Eph 6:1-4; Matt 26:38).
Make use of the services of a Biblical counsellor in order to tackle the challenges of the step family.
5 March 2009